These ingredients make around 1 pint of cordial
- 2lbs caster sugar
- 1 pint boiling water
- 1 lemon, zested then sliced
- 1 1/4 oz of citric acid.
- 25 elderberry heads.
- Wash and drain the elderberry heads before removing the berries and putting in a sauce pan.
- Add the sugar and boiling water and put over a medium heat. Stir continuously until all the sugar has dissolved in the simmering water then add the citric acid and lemon zest and slices..
- Combine well and simmer for a further five minutes before covering with a tea towel. Put the saucepan in a cool place and leave overnight to let the flavours infuse.
- After it has rested strain through a piece of muslim, or clean old tights. Store in a dark place. The cordial can be used immediately and keeps for at least three months.
You can also make a tincture by filling half a bottle of vodka with elderberries until they are just covered and leaving it in a warm place for about three months. At the first sign of a cough or cold take one teaspoon diluted in water or apple juice four or five times daily over the next 2/3 days. This can help to prevent them taking hold if you take it early enough or if they do, it will cut their duration significantly.