Check out our eight top tips to beat the menopause without resorting to HRT:
- Eat a variety of foods and increase your intake of plant foods. This increases the number of different phyto chemicals you ingest and decreases the likelihood that any one type will cause an imbalance.
- Don’t forget fish as a recent study found that including more fish oils in the diet alleviated some of the most common symptoms such as bloating, headaches, nervousness and irritability. Generally you need to get your fish oil from fish such as salmon, mackerel and herring.
- Eat organic to limit exposure to xenoestrogens in pesticide residue.
- Support your adrenals as healthy adrenal glands will continue to supply your body with a form of oestrogen. It is important to keep stress levels to a minimum as this will ensure that the adrenal glands produce more oestrogen that cortisol (the stress hormone). You also need to eat potassium (found in avocado, lima beans, dried apricots, banana, cantaloupe melon, peaches, oranges and fish) and pantothenic acid (found in legumes, wholegrains, salmon, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, brocolli and cauliflower).
- Check out your thyroid as low thyroid function can be mistaken for menopausal symptoms.
- Manage the heat by avoiding tea, coffee, alcohol and spicy foods, all of which will cause hot flushes.
- Get moving and increase the amount of exercise you take. This will help guard against osteoporosis and heart disease.
- Give up smoking and reduce alcohol intake as these will both increase likelihood of osteoporosis and heart disease.